Old 16-03-2007, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Carol Hague Carol Hague is offline

Default Compost trench.

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

"Carol Hague" wrote in message
I've dug a compost trench on my allotment for the benefit of the runner
beans eventually.

This morning I arrived to find evidence of digging and contents of
trench spread over several square yards :-(

From the amount of activity and spread of stuff it looks as if it was a
fairly large animal - badger, fox or dog at a guess.

Should I have put more soil over it? Stamped it down harder? Put up
"Badgers keep off" signs? Any advice gratefully received....

Just live with it. If it really worries you just cover the area with metal
mesh or the plastic equivalent.

To clarify, I don't really mind on my own account - if it's really that
hungry it can have my compost and welcome - but it managed to spread
some of the stuff onto the next plot over from mine and I was concerned
about upsetting the neighbours, as it were, especially since I'm the new
bod.

If all else fails I'll just have to abandon the trench and compost
things in the daleks until only the worms will want to eat it :-)

--
Carol
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"