Old 16-03-2007, 01:28 PM posted to aus.gardens
The Lady Gardener The Lady Gardener is offline

Default transplanting a tree fern

I have a tree fern that is about 5 years old, poor thing has struggled for
all 5 years as I planted it in full sun, and the recent days of 42+ have
really convinced me that it was ill-sited!

Do these things have a big root system? Is there a right & wrong time to
move them? Or should I just adopt my usual method of move it which
involves
a shovel and crossed fingers, with the words of care "live or die".

Joanne in Perth

Hey Cuz,

Dig it out put it in a shady spot. Give it some seasol and some thrive a
fortnight later. Some say to put some sugar on the crown but I dunno I
reckon the ants would come in. These tree ferns are bombproof. if it fails
you can always grow elkhorns over the trunk.

Richard

I'm not precious about the plant, just kind of feel sorry for it in its
current position. If it lives, all well and good - if it dies then I will
look for elk horns. Two tree ferns died down the back, alas the plumbago
strangled them. (if only things would 'uninstall themselves' in my
garden as they do so regularly in other places)