Old 16-03-2007, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Compost trench.

Jeyes fluid and Armillatox are both baned from garden uses except as
disinfectant.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/publi...0503/pesticide...
"Armillatox and Jeyes Fluid will remain on the market after 31.12.03 as
disinfectants, but they will no longer be permitted to be used for
pesticidal
purposes."

Strange I replied to this yesterday afternoon and was told post had
gone through, it must still be wandering cyber space.

They are not banned from garden use and you may still use them for
what ever you want.
What is not allowed is to recommend their use for anything other than
as a disinfectant, just the same as you are not allowed to tell
someone that they can boil up rhubarb leaves to make an insecticide.
I use as few chemicals as I can, only when there is no alternative,
I'd rather let the ladybirds etc do the work for me, If I spot a
really heavy infestation I will spot treat.
I have a couple of Badgers and a few foxes who visit daily, or should
I say Nightly.
I would rather use something with a strong smell to deter them from
parts I don't want them than to have to take more drastic action.
They are learning slowly.
I also feed the birds daily and they do a good job in helping to
control pests.
I do use slug pellets at times, but with care, and for the last 3
years we have had song thrushes breed and rear young, at present they
are just starting their evening song, and it sounds as if there are 3
in competition.
Last year we had 9 young reared, so I must be doing something right.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries