Old 17-03-2007, 04:34 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Default transplanting a tree fern

My treasured tree fern has just been burned off with the recent spell of
hot weather. It's been happily growing against a south facing wall,
where the eaves overhang so it gets protected from direct sun, so I feel
the hot winds might have been the culprit. Sometimes it gets a little
burned with salt spray with no ill effects.

As soon as I discovered it, I put a trickling hose into the crown and
keeping my fingers crossed that it recovers. The soil around this fern
is like a mat of fine roots but this has never been a problem as
rainwater seems to penetrate OK...until now!!

As you've stated, they are sold without a root system, actually they are
just cut off with a saw when they are collected in the forest.

Hoping Joanne's recovers too....keep us posted Joanne?
Bronwyn ;-)

LindaB wrote:

I've actually successfully moved a few, and do it by cutting off at
ground level, digging a deep hole and planting. I then keep it as damp
as I can by watering from the top, allowing water into the crown.

If you think about it, all the ones in nurseries are sold like that,
without a root system at all.

They are actually said to be best with their leaves in the sun and
their base in the shade (preferably damp), if you can manage that.

Cheers

Linda

"The Lady Gardener" wrote:

I have a tree fern that is about 5 years old, poor thing has struggled for
all 5 years as I planted it in full sun, and the recent days of 42+ have
really convinced me that it was ill-sited!

Do these things have a big root system? Is there a right & wrong time to
move them? Or should I just adopt my usual method of move it which involves
a shovel and crossed fingers, with the words of care "live or die".

Joanne in Perth