Old 17-03-2007, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bolting broccoli and bok choy

Persephone wrote in message

I was so proud of my winter greens! The broccoli and the baby bok
choy were growing like gang busters, and I was looking forward
to fresh, organic greens. Who needs you, farmers' markets!

Then comes that sequence of VERY VERY hot days, and goodbye
winter greens!

Both are bolting to seed. Trying to rescue what I can, but lost
cause.

Damn, damn, damn!

We used to have such even weather (So Calif coastal); now it's yo-yo
hot/cold like the East.

OTOH, the tomato seeds are sprouting and the onions and leeks
are jumping up.

Nature giveth and Nature taketh away...

Persephone

The hardware store can selleth thou some dark colored window screen
material. Thou probably owneth some stakes. Figure out a way to suspend the
screen over the broccoli, to shade it a bit. Worked for me. The broccoli
bolteth not.