Old 16-03-2007, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bolting broccoli and bok choy

I was so proud of my winter greens! The broccoli and the baby bok
choy were growing like gang busters, and I was looking forward
to fresh, organic greens. Who needs you, farmers' markets!

Then comes that sequence of VERY VERY hot days, and goodbye
winter greens!

Both are bolting to seed. Trying to rescue what I can, but lost
cause.

Damn, damn, damn!

We used to have such even weather (So Calif coastal); now it's yo-yo
hot/cold like the East.

OTOH, the tomato seeds are sprouting and the onions and leeks
are jumping up.

Nature giveth and Nature taketh away...

Persephone

Old 17-03-2007, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote in message

I was so proud of my winter greens! The broccoli and the baby bok
choy were growing like gang busters, and I was looking forward
to fresh, organic greens. Who needs you, farmers' markets!

Then comes that sequence of VERY VERY hot days, and goodbye
winter greens!

Both are bolting to seed. Trying to rescue what I can, but lost
cause.

Damn, damn, damn!

We used to have such even weather (So Calif coastal); now it's yo-yo
hot/cold like the East.

OTOH, the tomato seeds are sprouting and the onions and leeks
are jumping up.

Nature giveth and Nature taketh away...

Persephone

The hardware store can selleth thou some dark colored window screen
material. Thou probably owneth some stakes. Figure out a way to suspend the
screen over the broccoli, to shade it a bit. Worked for me. The broccoli
bolteth not.

Old 29-03-2007, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

As I'm sure you are aware, broccoli (and the other kale family plants)
are cool season crops. I would think that you could cut off the
pre-flower bolting growth and keep growing them as long as the weather
stays cool as it should this time of year. I don't know where you live,
but here in Wisconsin, we had a couple, three days of temps in the upper
60's - low 70's, and everything sproinged out of the ground as though it
was May. And folks still don't think global warming is real and this is
"normal?" Geepers.

Just my 2 cents worth.

SoozieCue

Old 30-03-2007, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:51:53 -0500, SoozieCue
wrote:

As I'm sure you are aware, broccoli (and the other kale family plants)
are cool season crops. I would think that you could cut off the
pre-flower bolting growth

Can you explain this in a little more detail? Do you mean cut off any
growth that is shooting up from the middle? Or any little broccoli
head that is forming?

and keep growing them as long as the weather
stays cool as it should this time of year. I don't know where you live,

See below - So. Calif coastal.

but here in Wisconsin, we had a couple, three days of temps in the upper
60's - low 70's, and everything sproinged out of the ground as though it
was May. And folks still don't think global warming is real and this is
"normal?" Geepers.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Much appreciated. We are also having weird weather. Practically no
rain all during the "rainy" season - 2nd year in a row -- and there
will BE no more till November -- if then! Early warm days,
interspersed with cold ones. (Warm and cold are relative terms!)

And yet the obedient Rep. clowns in Congress are still sucking up
to our Jesus-Freak Maximum Leader, and refusing to acknowledge
global warming...

None so blind as those who will not see...

What is truly amazing is that these Neanderthals (no, let me not
insult a respectable, if extinct, species) never seem concerned about
what will happen to their children and grandchildren because of their
politically-motivated refusal to face facts.

Persephone

SoozieCue

Old 30-03-2007, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote:
I was so proud of my winter greens! The broccoli and the baby bok
choy were growing like gang busters, and I was looking forward
to fresh, organic greens. Who needs you, farmers' markets!

Then comes that sequence of VERY VERY hot days, and goodbye
winter greens!

Both are bolting to seed. Trying to rescue what I can, but lost
cause.

Damn, damn, damn!

We used to have such even weather (So Calif coastal); now it's yo-yo
hot/cold like the East.

OTOH, the tomato seeds are sprouting and the onions and leeks
are jumping up.

Nature giveth and Nature taketh away...

Persephone

You rock girl.
_ Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Old 09-04-2007, 08:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

As I'm sure you are aware, broccoli (and the other kale family plants)
are cool season crops. I would think that you could cut off the
pre-flower bolting growth

Can you explain this in a little more detail? Do you mean cut off any
growth that is shooting up from the middle? Or any little broccoli
head that is forming?

Yes, cut off the center, taller part. If it doesn't get too warm
entirely, you should get 1 1/2 - 2" side shoots that are perfectly edible.

and keep growing them as long as the weather
stays cool as it should this time of year. I don't know where you live,

See below - So. Calif coastal.

Check this link out for detailed info concerning optimal growing temps
for broccoli: http://www.bonnieplants.com/Default.aspx?tabid=439

[...]

Ain't that the truth!!!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Look below for my answers.

wrote:

As I'm sure you are aware, broccoli (and the other kale family plants)
are cool season crops. I would think that you could cut off the
pre-flower bolting growth

Can you explain this in a little more detail? Do you mean cut off any
growth that is shooting up from the middle? Or any little broccoli
head that is forming?

Yes, the growth that is shooting up from the middle. Side
broccoli-ettes should form that can grow to @ 1 1/2 - 2", and are
perfectly edible. No doubt in S. Cal. you're temps are too high right now.

[...]

And ain't that the truth!!!!

Persephone
SoozieCue

Old 09-04-2007, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 02:33:35 -0500, SoozieCue
wrote:

Look below for my answers.

wrote:

As I'm sure you are aware, broccoli (and the other kale family plants)
are cool season crops. I would think that you could cut off the
pre-flower bolting growth

Can you explain this in a little more detail? Do you mean cut off any
growth that is shooting up from the middle? Or any little broccoli
head that is forming?

Yes, the growth that is shooting up from the middle. Side
broccoli-ettes should form that can grow to @ 1 1/2 - 2", and are
perfectly edible. No doubt in S. Cal. your temps are too high right now.

Well...I'll give it a try. Thanks for the clarification.

Persephone

Persephone wrote:
I was so proud of my winter greens! The broccoli and the baby bok
choy were growing like gang busters, and I was looking forward
to fresh, organic greens. Who needs you, farmers' markets!

Then comes that sequence of VERY VERY hot days, and goodbye
winter greens!

Both are bolting to seed. Trying to rescue what I can, but lost
cause.

Damn, damn, damn!

We used to have such even weather (So Calif coastal); now it's yo-yo
hot/cold like the East.

OTOH, the tomato seeds are sprouting and the onions and leeks
are jumping up.

Nature giveth and Nature taketh away...

Persephone

[IMG] code is On

Bok choy seeding Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 4 09-06-2014 03:39 AM
Kale vs Bok Choy Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 14 08-02-2014 06:19 PM
Baby Bok Choy [email protected] Gardening 5 20-02-2009 03:28 PM
bok choy Nancy Australia 12 05-07-2006 09:09 AM
Bok Choy problem JRYezierski Edible Gardening 2 10-06-2004 09:04 PM