Old 27-03-2003, 10:32 AM
Mike

Default For Mike, red roses

Allegra mused..

What is it with you guys? Is it something in the male DNA that, still alive
and well from the hunting and gathering days, makes a man believe
that neither rain, nor snow, nor lightning is going to touch them when they
are on the roof?

There's probably a little truth in that statement. g But mostly it's the
DNA code that tells you that you can't say no to Dad. Also, if I hadn't
have gone over there the moment he asked, he would've climbed up on the
roof to do it himself. I can't have that.

Of course you can pick my brains, that is why they are there for.
I pick everyone else's brain when I try to find out something so it
would be nothing if not fair play to offer the same. But fair warning,
when it comes to roses all the experience in the world seems to
apply to where you are planted, which presumes it is also where
your roses are. And where you bought your roses.

Don't sell your experience short, though. There's a lot of good information
gained from experience that applies no matter what the variables. Good
vendor/ bad vendor. Advice on soil, pruning, taking cuttings, etc. Which
roses are easy to grow and which roses are pouty little divas. Opinions of
specific roses from those that have already grown them are way more
valuable than catalogue copy. A good example of this is fragrance. I've
never read "fragrance can only be detected at dawn for two weeks in
mid-Spring by bloodhounds trained for such purposes" in a catalogue.
Marketing types translate that to "fragrance is mild, but pleasant."

..I have yet to find a boxed rose that responds the same as an
own root and that shows gratitude for all the lavished attention
and devotion. The poor things mostly put out for a season or two
and they are toast after that.

I have bought only own root for the last couple of years and I agree with
your asessment completely. My own roots are much healthier than the grafts
I have purchased. They look a little small to begin with, but like you
said, they respond so well once they're in the ground.

I hope you are not in too much pain.

More annoying than painful. I am sore and my back is nagging at me, but
there's no need for a morphine drip just yet.

I am off in a business trip until next week, so don't plant anything until
I get back ;)

Happy trails to you and be safe!

I don't have any *plans* to plant anything...

..and about Mermaid, she of the golden talons, just pray that you are
never within her reach.
Experience speaking here.

She would never hurt me. I love her!

I hear she will eat the clothes off your back if you stray too close, but I
don't really care about the clothing I wear while working in the yard. I'll
act like I do when I'm around her, though just so she doesn't start
thinking that's acceptable behaviour.

Good luck on your business trip. I'll guess we'll get by while you're gone.
Give us a post when you get back. This work thing really cuts into rose
time, you know?

Take care,

Mike
z8TX