Old 18-03-2007, 07:33 AM posted to aus.gardens
RooBoy[_2_] RooBoy[_2_] is offline

Default Pruning Mangos

"Geoff & Heather" wrote in message
Does anyone know how Mango Trees react to pruning and when would be a
good time to do it ?

We have a 1.8m high Mango Tree that produced about half a dozen very nice
mangos this year, but unfortunately when we bought it from the nursery it
was a very spindly tree with no strength in the branches. As it has grown
all the new branches have been equally weak, they bend even with a bit of
rain on them and we have to have all the branches staked so they don't
flap around in the wind.

Can we cut it back to a more solid trunk and let it grow ?

Cheers,
Geoff
You can prune right now, but seeing you have a relatively small tree (I
have three monsters about 6 metres each) don't be too harsh and I would
advise to prune above where branches branch out so to speak, say 5-6 CM
depending on the overall shape and structure of the tree, if you want to
maintain a manageable size feel free to prune the main tress slightly that
will also promote growth on the sides later in the year, the branches will
get bigger and therefore strengthen as time goes on.

Hope this helps you

Rob