Old 18-03-2007, 06:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Pruning Mangos

Does anyone know how Mango Trees react to pruning and when would be a good
time to do it ?

We have a 1.8m high Mango Tree that produced about half a dozen very nice
mangos this year, but unfortunately when we bought it from the nursery it
was a very spindly tree with no strength in the branches. As it has grown
all the new branches have been equally weak, they bend even with a bit of
rain on them and we have to have all the branches staked so they don't flap
around in the wind.

Can we cut it back to a more solid trunk and let it grow ?

Cheers,
Geoff

Old 18-03-2007, 07:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Geoff & Heather" wrote in message
Does anyone know how Mango Trees react to pruning and when would be a
good time to do it ?

We have a 1.8m high Mango Tree that produced about half a dozen very nice
mangos this year, but unfortunately when we bought it from the nursery it
was a very spindly tree with no strength in the branches. As it has grown
all the new branches have been equally weak, they bend even with a bit of
rain on them and we have to have all the branches staked so they don't
flap around in the wind.

Can we cut it back to a more solid trunk and let it grow ?

Cheers,
Geoff
You can prune right now, but seeing you have a relatively small tree (I
have three monsters about 6 metres each) don't be too harsh and I would
advise to prune above where branches branch out so to speak, say 5-6 CM
depending on the overall shape and structure of the tree, if you want to
maintain a manageable size feel free to prune the main tress slightly that
will also promote growth on the sides later in the year, the branches will
get bigger and therefore strengthen as time goes on.

Hope this helps you

Rob

Old 18-03-2007, 06:57 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day geoff,

nows about the time to prune, the main objective with pruning mango's
is to open up the center of the tree to promote higher production of
fruit. usually mango's get strong pretty quick so not sure about in
your case but maybe the first years fruit should have been pulled off
to allow the plant more time to develop? also might need to look to
its growing situation is it getting all day sun and good drainage
etc.,.?

at 1.8 meters i would expect that it should have strengthened up by
now.

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:12:31 +1100, "Geoff & Heather"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 22-03-2007, 08:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks for your comments - the tree only has three branches and actually
quite a god shape - but yes maybe we should have taken the fruit off - but
it was so great to see our own mangos that we didn't have the patients to
wait until next year. The taste of the fruit made it worth it - even if we
don't get any next year, we know they are worth waiting for.
This weekend it's in for the chop :-)
Cheers,
Geoff.

wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Mangos are SO good [email protected] Edible Gardening 3 07-07-2006 01:51 PM
Mangos are SO good John Savage Australia 0 07-07-2006 01:51 PM
Mangos Storm Gardening 3 31-07-2003 04:12 AM
Squrrils eating the mangos George Gardening 4 02-07-2003 02:56 PM
Mangos in WA Tazman Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:34 AM