Old 21-03-2007, 07:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Mowers for 2 acre lawn?

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
In article , Chris Wilson
wrote:

I have 2 acres of lawn to mow and my old Iseki SG15 diesel ride on with
grass collection is getting a bit past it. It has a 48 inch cut. I can't
decide whether to swap it for something similar sized with grass
collection
or something with a six foot deck that either side discharges or mulches.
What difference in grass quality am I likely to see if i don't collect the
grass? What advantage is a "mulching" mower? The lawn isn't in a great
state at the moment anyway, as it has had chafer grubs in it the last 2
years... Thanks.

I took the plunge with a 15hp mulching ride-on a couple of years ago
and I am delighted with it, albeit my lawn is far from perfectly flat
so I can never shave it close. The clippings just disappear into the
grass roots never to be seen again but presumably adding nutrients to
my sward; they don't even get walked into the house.

But best of all, the mower engine never labours under the load of a
full grassbox; and I don't have to keep stopping every 10 minutes to
empty it. And with my old mower I was often on my knees with my arm up
its chute trying to clear a grass blockage - now a distant memory.

I'm not sure that I fully subscribe to the notion that mowing the lawn
is a pleasure but a mulching mower is as pleasurable as it gets imho.

And mine has an 'out-front' deck which slips under shrubs and
overhangs, without any risk of strangulation or side-swipe, while also
cutting right up to the lawn edges.

Get your local dealer to bring one round for a demo. I think you'll
fall for it.

Stan that's answered a lot of questions -thanks.
Is there any tendency to build up a thatch on the lawn or is too early to
tell.