Old 20-03-2007, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mowers for 2 acre lawn?

I have 2 acres of lawn to mow and my old Iseki SG15 diesel ride on with
grass collection is getting a bit past it. It has a 48 inch cut. I can't
decide whether to swap it for something similar sized with grass collection
or something with a six foot deck that either side discharges or mulches.
What difference in grass quality am I likely to see if i don't collect the
grass? What advantage is a "mulching" mower? The lawn isn't in a great
state at the moment anyway, as it has had chafer grubs in it the last 2
years... Thanks.
--
Best Regards,
Chris Wilson.
Old 21-03-2007, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Chris Wilson
wrote:

I have 2 acres of lawn to mow and my old Iseki SG15 diesel ride on with
grass collection is getting a bit past it. It has a 48 inch cut. I can't
decide whether to swap it for something similar sized with grass collection
or something with a six foot deck that either side discharges or mulches.
What difference in grass quality am I likely to see if i don't collect the
grass? What advantage is a "mulching" mower? The lawn isn't in a great
state at the moment anyway, as it has had chafer grubs in it the last 2
years... Thanks.

I took the plunge with a 15hp mulching ride-on a couple of years ago
and I am delighted with it, albeit my lawn is far from perfectly flat
so I can never shave it close. The clippings just disappear into the
grass roots never to be seen again but presumably adding nutrients to
my sward; they don't even get walked into the house.

But best of all, the mower engine never labours under the load of a
full grassbox; and I don't have to keep stopping every 10 minutes to
empty it. And with my old mower I was often on my knees with my arm up
its chute trying to clear a grass blockage - now a distant memory.

I'm not sure that I fully subscribe to the notion that mowing the lawn
is a pleasure but a mulching mower is as pleasurable as it gets imho.

And mine has an 'out-front' deck which slips under shrubs and
overhangs, without any risk of strangulation or side-swipe, while also
cutting right up to the lawn edges.

Get your local dealer to bring one round for a demo. I think you'll
fall for it.
Old 21-03-2007, 07:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
In article , Chris Wilson
wrote:

[...]

Stan that's answered a lot of questions -thanks.
Is there any tendency to build up a thatch on the lawn or is too early to
tell.

Old 26-03-2007, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks, I'll see if I can get a trial of a big deck mulching mower!

--
Best Regards,
Chris Wilson.
Old 22-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
Thanks, I'll see if I can get a trial of a big deck mulching mower!

--
Best Regards,
Chris Wilson.
I also have an Iseki SG15 mower but the deck has had it.
Do you want to sell your complete mower if so my email is
Regards Richard

What is needed to mow 1 1/2 acre lawn? Craig Davis Lawns 7 11-10-2005 01:06 PM
Lawn mowers caged lion United Kingdom 8 02-05-2003 02:44 PM
Atco Lawn Mowers?? Douglas Hageman United Kingdom 4 25-03-2003 07:44 PM
Snapper Lawn Mower Attachments For Sale For 21inch Hand Mowers! HOTITALIANLOVER Gardening 0 07-03-2003 03:44 AM
Lawn mowers Jamangie Kaungla Lawns 0 04-12-2002 09:37 PM