Old 27-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Frogleg

Default Pole beans as a screen?

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:36:00 -0600, Matt Leber
wrote:

We have a deck on the back of our house that is virtually unusable during a
sunny day when the temperature gets above 75 or so. We were thinking of
planting a screen made of green beans in two large pots with a trellise
between them. The idea is to train the beans up the trellise.

I am wondering if a 1x1x4 foot container would be large enough for the
beans.

Does anybody have any experience growing beans in containers?

I grew beans in a 1' wide strip of rock-hard clay (outside an office
building). Don't know how deep the roots went.

I'd suggest scarlet runner beans or purple hyacinth beans (dolichos
lablabs) which are both fast-growing, sturdy, and have attractive
flowers to add to your deck's decor. Also edible.