Old 21-03-2007, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Keith \(Dorset\) Keith \(Dorset\) is offline

Default Pear trees - cross pollination query.

Dear fruit growers,

I have been sold two pear trees with the suggestion from the nursery that
one will pollinate the other.

These are both varieties on my shortlist - but I needed some 'technical
advice'

They a Doyenne du Comice and 'Williams' Bon Chrétien.

I understand that the latter will self-polinate. However, will it pollinate
the Comice (grown nearby)?

After all, according to what I have since read, these trees have different
flowering periods.

If not, what might be a third pear variety, that I can (in this case) grow
as a cordon, that would assist.

I don't think there are any other pear trees in neighbouring gardens.

Thanks,

Keith