Old 21-03-2007, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pear trees - cross pollination query.

Dear fruit growers,

I have been sold two pear trees with the suggestion from the nursery that
one will pollinate the other.

These are both varieties on my shortlist - but I needed some 'technical
advice'

They a Doyenne du Comice and 'Williams' Bon Chrétien.

I understand that the latter will self-polinate. However, will it pollinate
the Comice (grown nearby)?

After all, according to what I have since read, these trees have different
flowering periods.

If not, what might be a third pear variety, that I can (in this case) grow
as a cordon, that would assist.

I don't think there are any other pear trees in neighbouring gardens.

Thanks,

Keith

Old 21-03-2007, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 21 Mar, 21:30, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:
Dear fruit growers,

I have been sold two pear trees with the suggestion from the nursery that
one will pollinate the other.

These are both varieties on my shortlist - but I needed some 'technical
advice'

They a Doyenne du Comice and 'Williams' Bon Chrétien.

I understand that the latter will self-polinate. However, will it pollinate
the Comice (grown nearby)?

After all, according to what I have since read, these trees have different
flowering periods.

If not, what might be a third pear variety, that I can (in this case) grow
as a cordon, that would assist.

I don't think there are any other pear trees in neighbouring gardens.

Thanks,

Keith

I think this link will answer your question.
http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Po...ide_Pears.html

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 21-03-2007, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Very many thanks Dave,

I have been reading up about this in my various books but now it's all a lot
clearer.

With best wishes,

Keith

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 22-03-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Keith
Although the trees are in different flowering groups, their flowering
times do overlap, so cross pollination will occur (typically flowering
3rd week of April). In my experience they flower at a similar time.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 22-03-2007, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
I think this link will answer your question.
http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Po...ide_Pears.html

According to that site, any will do! "To select a pollinator choose
another variety of pear in the same group, previous group or following
group in the table below" with only 2 groups :-)

Old 22-03-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith \(Dorset\)" wrote:

They a Doyenne du Comice and 'Williams' Bon Chr?tien.

I understand that the latter will self-polinate. However, will it pollinate
the Comice (grown nearby)?

A friend of mine was sold a Williams and was assured that it would
self-pollinate. Well it didn't, which matches my experience. I grafted
conference onto one branch, and she started getting some fruit.

I'd double check but I've usually found that most pears flowering period
overlaps - it's not as spread out as apples.

Old 22-03-2007, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

As a rule all self fertile fruits, fruit better when a pollonator is
available. Unusual not to get any fruit, when that occurs there is
normally something else at play (typically early morning frost on
plums and pears)
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Pear trees need a pair for pollination [email protected] Gardening 7 01-08-2008 03:59 PM
Cross pollination? jammer Roses 17 17-05-2003 09:44 AM
Cross-pollination question Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 1 15-05-2003 01:44 PM
Cross pollination? Sunflower Roses 0 07-05-2003 06:32 PM
Pear trees: how far apart for pollination? will United Kingdom 2 18-03-2003 08:44 AM