Old 20-03-2007, 01:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default KOI $$$

Reel McKoi wrote:

You said your yard was not that large. Since koi can reach quite a size
you may want to rethink turning so much of it into a pond. Even two
adult koi will need at least 1200 with good filtration and water
changes. A 500g pond would be suitable for a smaller yard. You can
keep a nice group of real pretty goldfish in something that size.

Although I seem to recall telling you the size of my back garden (as we
call it in the UK) maybe a little bit of restating won't come amiss.....

The area I am thinking about and will be building my new pond is around
10 foot by around 8 foot which is at least 622 IMP galls if I only go
down 2 foot and I will be going deeper......my ultimate plan is to
convert the kiddy play area which is 16 foot by 20 foot (if not more)
into a Koi pond (which gives me almost 3200 IMP galls)......I rather
think that even both would be sufficient, however down to my lack of
experience I have already stated that the first pond will contain
shubunkins and goldfish and not Koi......

Oh, and that leaves a lot of garden for flowers, shrubs, veg and the
greenhouse plus lots of space to extend the house....don't make
assumptions....not all of us in the UK are space challenged....

Gill