Old 19-03-2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_2_] ~ jan[_2_] is offline

Default spring work ~ what do you need to do this year?

Worked on the lily pond today. In the past I would drain it out completely
and suck the muck out and refill. I found that not only was it a great
waste of water, but then I had pH problems and getting the water balanced
again. So today I used the shop vac on the bottom and shelves. While it
drained I trimmed dead stuff off the marginals.

Many of the plants will need dividing, hopefully not too many of the lilies
this year.

The main goal is to get a barrel filter connected, which requires ordering
the parts and digging a BIG hole for it. It will only be a 2 barrel filter,
rather than 4 like the koi ponds.

I'll also have to trim the fish load in the koi ponds that I've yet to take
the screens off of and start the filter. I was hoping to do that this
weekend, but they're predicting cooler temps again mid-week, so maybe next
weekend.

Marsh Marigold also about to burst into bloom. :-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State