Old 23-03-2007, 04:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
asdfa asdfa is offline

Default Lawn mower edger help Please

Group,
So I took apart the carburator and the engine gave it all a good cleaning
and greasing (where needed) and got the edger to work Finally. So I decided
to take apart the lawn mower (craftsman 6.0 w/briggs and s motor) I gave it
all a good cleaning and greasing again where needed. But the lawn mower
still wont turn on. A few messages up I saw that the valve had to be closed
for the lawnmower to start. I think this is what the problem is with the
lawn mower the valve stays open. I must have forgotten where the spring
goes to control the opening and closing of the valve or I am missing another
spring. If anyone has a lawnmower like mine model 917 387500 could you take
a picture of the spring apparatus just on top of the carburator. I've seen
other models from craftsman at the local sears that look like mine and look
like they would have the same components so a general picture would do.,
Thanks
Phillip
"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 19, 3:46 am, "Bob" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

ups.com...
On Mar 15, 1:47 pm, "asdfa" wrote:

So I have a regular push lawnmower. The only way i can get the lawn
mower
to start is to directly syphon gas out with a hose and put a few drops
in
the carburator. Then the mower will start for a few seconds until it
drinks
up the few drops of gas and it will dye. So I bought a new one because
couldnt fix it. Now my push edger is doing the same thing. It will
only
start when i directly put gas into the carburator and will run for a
second
or two until the gas it gone. I dont want to have to buy another edger
just
because of the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. HOW do i fix this? The lawn mower
service people charge to much.,. Thanks Please post towards group.not
my
valid email.
Phillip

If it starts & runs with a few drops of gas in the carb, that
eliminates everything except fuel starvation, meaning no fuel getting
thru the carb. That is usually caused by a clogged fuel pickup screen
in the tank, or a clogged jet in the carb. Both situations require
pulling the carb, disassembly, and blowing it out with carb cleaner.
Then you need to put it back together with a new carb kit. (gaskets &
fuel "pump").
It sounds like you are not taking care of your machines at the end of
the cutting season. NEVER let fuel remain in the tank/carb over the
winter without a fuel stabilizer added to the gas. Otherwise you get
the problem you have described for both units.
BTW, the primer bulb does crack & is cheap & replaceable.
Bob S.
Bob
I agree it is probably a fuel problem, but may not require a carb
overhaul.
I'd get a can of carb cleaner and a can of starter (Either) fluid from
any
auto parts store.

Spray some carb cleaner in the carb air intake & pull engine starter a
few
time.
Then I'd squirt a very little starter fluid in the intake and try to
start
it. If you can get the engine running for more than a few seconds, keep
spraying in a bit of carb' cleaner. This may take care of the carb
problem
(if that's what it is) as well as disolving some gunk on the valves.

Another Bob

Always worth a try. But that is not getting the carb cleaner where
it's supposed to be. Spraying the air intake is putting the carb
cleaner directly into the engine rather than running it thru the
carb. Does nothing for varnish buildup in the fuel supply portion of
the carb.
Bob S.