Old 15-03-2007, 08:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Lawn mower edger help Please

So I have a regular push lawnmower. The only way i can get the lawn mower
to start is to directly syphon gas out with a hose and put a few drops in
the carburator. Then the mower will start for a few seconds until it drinks
up the few drops of gas and it will dye. So I bought a new one because I
couldnt fix it. Now my push edger is doing the same thing. It will only
start when i directly put gas into the carburator and will run for a second
or two until the gas it gone. I dont want to have to buy another edger just
because of the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. HOW do i fix this? The lawn mower
service people charge to much.,. Thanks Please post towards group.not my
valid email.
Phillip

Old 15-03-2007, 10:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

asdfa said:

So I have a regular push lawnmower.

Brand? Model?

The only way i can get the lawn mower
to start is to directly syphon gas out with a hose and put a few drops in
the carburator.

Has it been sitting all winter with gas in it? Has the gas been sitting in
a can all winter, waiting to be used (even a portion of it)?

Then the mower will start for a few seconds until it drinks
up the few drops of gas and it will dye. So I bought a new one because I
couldnt fix it.

What did you try, to fix it?

Now my push edger is doing the same thing. It will only
start when i directly put gas into the carburator and will run for a second
or two until the gas it gone.

Again, is the gas old?

How long since you've changed the spark plug, or cleaned/regapped it? How
long since you've cleaned/replaced/reoiled the air filter? Gas filter?

I dont want to have to buy another edger just
because of the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. HOW do i fix this?

The information you've given is pretty vague. I'm not so sure I know what
you mean by a "regular lawnmower". There are literally hundreds of push
mowers, and dozens of engine manufacturers for them. Some have priming
bulbs for cold starting, some have manual chokes, and some have both.

Most edgers that I've had are two stroke. Is yours, not?

The lawn mower service people charge to much.,.

More than a new one? I doubt it. There's nothing wrong with taking it to a
shop, once a year, to get it ready to go for the season. Especially if you
don't really know what you're doing, as far as maintainence goes.

Thanks Please post towards group.

Good. That's kinda the way the USENET works.

not my valid email.

Most aren't, save for fools.

--

Eggs

Can atheists get insurance for acts of God?
Old 15-03-2007, 11:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Thanks for a reply,

So the lawn mower has a primer bulb, but as far as I remember it never had
worked -- you would squeeze the bulb and find that it had no resistance...no
gas being sucked in. I took apart the carburator and cleaned it well. But
the lawn mower will only start like I said once one puts a few drops in the
carburator with the valve open.. then it will die. As for the edger the gas
did sit inside the edger for a few months, then i replaced it with fresh gas
about a week ago. The spark plug is new on the edger the air filter is
clean, it has no primer bulb. And once again when i put gas straight into
the carburator with the manual choke open it starts and then dies. They are
both Briggs n Stratton
Hope this help a little more.

Old 16-03-2007, 10:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[top-posting fixed]

asdfa said:

[...]

How many times does the manual say to pump the primer?

I took apart the carburator and cleaned it well.

Therein may lie the problem. Did you remove mixture screw? If so, did you
properly seat it? ( screw it all the way in, then back it out x number
of turn(s), as per the manufacturers suggestion? What did you clean it
with?

But
the lawn mower will only start like I said once one puts a few drops in the
carburator with the valve open.. then it will die.

By "valve", I'm assuming you mean "choke"? If so, you need to cold start
with the choke either fully or half closed (RTFM).

As for the edger the gas
did sit inside the edger for a few months, then i replaced it with fresh gas
about a week ago.

The gas in the edger may have begun to turn to varnish. This would gum up
the needle valve, not allowing gas into the intake (or allowing enough fuel
to provide the correct fuel-air ratio).

The spark plug is new on the edger the air filter is
clean, it has no primer bulb.

And, it's a four cycle engine, on the edger?

And once again when i put gas straight into
the carburator with the manual choke open it starts and then dies.

Again, you need to cold start with the choke closed. You need more fuel
than air, momentarily, to cold start an engine.

They are both Briggs n Stratton
Hope this help a little more.

Yes, but it still sounds as though you're not following correct
cold-starting procedures. If you don't pour any gas directly into the carb,
do you smell gas when you try and start the engine, as though it were
flooding?

You should probably take it to a local shop. It's still cheaper than
purchasing a new one.

--

Eggs

-I went to a seafood disco rave last week.... and pulled a mussel.
Old 17-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Registered User

maybe it is cheaper, but it is still very expensive. I cannot believe how much they are charging these days.

Old 18-03-2007, 03:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

On Mar 15, 1:47 pm, "asdfa" wrote:
So I have a regular push lawnmower. The only way i can get the lawn mower
to start is to directly syphon gas out with a hose and put a few drops in
the carburator. Then the mower will start for a few seconds until it drinks
up the few drops of gas and it will dye. So I bought a new one because I
couldnt fix it. Now my push edger is doing the same thing. It will only
start when i directly put gas into the carburator and will run for a second
or two until the gas it gone. I dont want to have to buy another edger just
because of the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. HOW do i fix this? The lawn mower
service people charge to much.,. Thanks Please post towards group.not my
valid email.
Phillip

If it starts & runs with a few drops of gas in the carb, that
eliminates everything except fuel starvation, meaning no fuel getting
thru the carb. That is usually caused by a clogged fuel pickup screen
in the tank, or a clogged jet in the carb. Both situations require
pulling the carb, disassembly, and blowing it out with carb cleaner.
Then you need to put it back together with a new carb kit. (gaskets &
fuel "pump").
It sounds like you are not taking care of your machines at the end of
the cutting season. NEVER let fuel remain in the tank/carb over the
winter without a fuel stabilizer added to the gas. Otherwise you get
the problem you have described for both units.
BTW, the primer bulb does crack & is cheap & replaceable.
Bob S.
Bob

Old 19-03-2007, 10:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 15, 1:47 pm, "asdfa" wrote:
[...]

I agree it is probably a fuel problem, but may not require a carb overhaul.
I'd get a can of carb cleaner and a can of starter (Either) fluid from any
auto parts store.

Spray some carb cleaner in the carb air intake & pull engine starter a few
time.
Then I'd squirt a very little starter fluid in the intake and try to start
it. If you can get the engine running for more than a few seconds, keep
spraying in a bit of carb' cleaner. This may take care of the carb problem
(if that's what it is) as well as disolving some gunk on the valves.

Another Bob

Old 19-03-2007, 02:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

On Mar 19, 3:46 am, "Bob" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

ups.com...
On Mar 15, 1:47 pm, "asdfa" wrote:

[...]

Always worth a try. But that is not getting the carb cleaner where
it's supposed to be. Spraying the air intake is putting the carb
cleaner directly into the engine rather than running it thru the
carb. Does nothing for varnish buildup in the fuel supply portion of
the carb.
Bob S.

Old 23-03-2007, 04:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Group,
So I took apart the carburator and the engine gave it all a good cleaning
and greasing (where needed) and got the edger to work Finally. So I decided
to take apart the lawn mower (craftsman 6.0 w/briggs and s motor) I gave it
all a good cleaning and greasing again where needed. But the lawn mower
still wont turn on. A few messages up I saw that the valve had to be closed
for the lawnmower to start. I think this is what the problem is with the
lawn mower the valve stays open. I must have forgotten where the spring
goes to control the opening and closing of the valve or I am missing another
spring. If anyone has a lawnmower like mine model 917 387500 could you take
a picture of the spring apparatus just on top of the carburator. I've seen
other models from craftsman at the local sears that look like mine and look
like they would have the same components so a general picture would do.,
Thanks
Phillip
"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 19, 3:46 am, "Bob" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

ups.com...

Old 23-03-2007, 08:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

asdfa wrote:
[...]
"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 19, 3:46 am, "Bob" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

ups.com...

Try finding it at http://www3.sears.com/

Old 24-03-2007, 12:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

asdfa wrote:
[...]

So go to Sears and take a picture of one yourself. You're the one that
screwed it up.

--
Art
Old 24-03-2007, 04:09 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"So go to Sears and take a picture of one yourself. You're the one that
screwed it up." Thanks for this helpful comment - you would have wasted less
energy if you had not written anything at all - at the least, it would have
served the same purpose NOTHING! , but then again not being a mean person, I
will thank you for the earlier useful postings. And the reason I asked
someone else to take a picture of their own machine, was because I didnt
think Sears would take it kindly if I started taking apart a working
lawnmower to get to the part I needed. I at the least don't walk behind the
counter at lets say..... -Mc Donalds- and fetch my own Mc Flurry because I
want it, its not my place and therefore not my money if I was to break
something trying to get what I needed at Sears or in my example Mc Donalds.
Thanks again.

Phillip

"Art" wrote in message
news

Old 24-03-2007, 02:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

asdfa wrote:
[...]

I have no sympathy for idiots that take things apart and do not pay
enough attention to be able to put them back together again.
I have no patience for idiots that mix top posting with bottom posting
and even properly quote what they reply to. Maybe making a McFlurry is
something you could get right...

--
Art

Old 25-03-2007, 01:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 24, 9:15 am, Art wrote:
asdfa wrote:
[...]

Art- Hide quoted text -

Phillip, have you gone to Sears parts online? They usually have
exploded parts diagrams, which may show how your engine goes back
together.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Others have covered specific things to do/try/look for, so I won't
jump into those.

But, I can recommend a good book published by Briggs and Stratton,
available at Sears, Home Depot, and a lot of other places, called
"Small Engine Repair". It was the best $20 I ever invested. It covers
most common repairs and maintenance items on almost every kind of
small engine around. It's written for most people who can identify
which end of a screwdriver is which, and has enough pictures to help
you figure out problems easily. It's saved my butt way more than
once.....

Lawn Edger Fred United Kingdom 8 13-03-2007 05:46 PM
Edging revisited... true edger vs. attachment edger [email protected] Lawns 11 18-06-2006 01:40 PM
King O'Lawn edger scott Lawns 0 30-08-2003 02:03 AM
Lawn Edger Ray Lawns 1 24-06-2003 02:32 PM
Lawn Edger Janet Australia 3 30-05-2003 03:08 AM