Old 23-03-2007, 03:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default So how does the moderation work?

Kurt wrote:

Interesting. I get all my groups through a paid news service (GigaNews)
and view everything like I have for a zillion years with all the other
newsgroups. Never have seen anyone also do their own hosted group that
posts (I'm assuming) simultaneously on Usenet.

That's what's known as "gating" - I'm not sure how many mail-lists are gated
to Big-8 Usenet groups, but it's pretty common with private news servers
(like support lists for many software publishers).

That's not what happens here. When you submit a post to your news server,
it gets diverted to an email address (or you can just send email direct to
that address, which I forget...). We check it and approve or reject. When
it's approved, it gets submitted to a special news server that ensures we
have the authority to post, then propagates to the rest of the world.
--
derek