Old 23-03-2007, 07:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi Reel McKoi is offline

Default Koi fry

"humBill" wrote in message
. net...
Hi all - It is soooo nice to see the group back, albeit another
incarnation.

I bought 6 little domestic koi fry about 6 weeks ago. They range between
1 and 2 inches. I put them in an aquarium to grow them out a little
before put them in the pond - and as a quarantine. Unfortunately all but
2 don't seem to be fattening up, infact at least 3 of them are definitely
getting skinny and one died yesterday.

Where did you get them and what is the PH of the water? Mine thrive in hard
alkaline water. Fry that small must be well fed at least 4 times a day.
Forget flakes and use one of the better small pellets. Also give them a
slice of orange at least once a week. You don't see any signs of parasites
such as flashing? Are their stools normal? How large is the aquarium and
have you checked for ammonia and nitrites?

The water is fine and the tank was cycled
from the start.

But how large is the tank? That many little koi may have overloaded the
bio-filtering capacity of the filter.

In the absence of any other evidence I have to guess it is
my feeding. I have been feeding them goldfish and cichlid flake.

Flakes should be a snack. They need more substantial foods. Add some
frozen blood worms with the pellets. I'm experimenting with canned Mackerel
and so far so good! :-)

It seems
all of them have been eating, but obviously something is amiss. Any
suggestions?

The answer may be above. I hope...... :-)

Thanks
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

--
RM....