Old 23-03-2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Koi fry

Hi all - It is soooo nice to see the group back, albeit another incarnation.

I bought 6 little domestic koi fry about 6 weeks ago. They range between 1
and 2 inches. I put them in an aquarium to grow them out a little before
put them in the pond - and as a quarantine. Unfortunately all but 2 don't
seem to be fattening up, infact at least 3 of them are definitely getting
skinny and one died yesterday. The water is fine and the tank was cycled
from the start. In the absence of any other evidence I have to guess it is
my feeding. I have been feeding them goldfish and cichlid flake. It seems
all of them have been eating, but obviously something is amiss. Any
suggestions?
Thanks
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 23-03-2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:43:54 CST, "humBill" wrote:

Hi all - It is soooo nice to see the group back, albeit another incarnation.

I bought 6 little domestic koi fry about 6 weeks ago. They range between 1
and 2 inches. I put them in an aquarium to grow them out a little before
put them in the pond - and as a quarantine. Unfortunately all but 2 don't
seem to be fattening up, infact at least 3 of them are definitely getting
skinny and one died yesterday. The water is fine and the tank was cycled
from the start. In the absence of any other evidence I have to guess it is
my feeding. I have been feeding them goldfish and cichlid flake. It seems
all of them have been eating, but obviously something is amiss. Any
suggestions?
Thanks
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

How often are you doing a water change? Could you be more specific
regarding "water is fine"? :-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Old 23-03-2007, 07:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"humBill" wrote in message
. net...
Hi all - It is soooo nice to see the group back, albeit another
incarnation.

I bought 6 little domestic koi fry about 6 weeks ago. They range between
1 and 2 inches. I put them in an aquarium to grow them out a little
before put them in the pond - and as a quarantine. Unfortunately all but
2 don't seem to be fattening up, infact at least 3 of them are definitely
getting skinny and one died yesterday.

Where did you get them and what is the PH of the water? Mine thrive in hard
alkaline water. Fry that small must be well fed at least 4 times a day.
Forget flakes and use one of the better small pellets. Also give them a
slice of orange at least once a week. You don't see any signs of parasites
such as flashing? Are their stools normal? How large is the aquarium and
have you checked for ammonia and nitrites?

The water is fine and the tank was cycled
from the start.

But how large is the tank? That many little koi may have overloaded the
bio-filtering capacity of the filter.

In the absence of any other evidence I have to guess it is
my feeding. I have been feeding them goldfish and cichlid flake.

Flakes should be a snack. They need more substantial foods. Add some
frozen blood worms with the pellets. I'm experimenting with canned Mackerel
and so far so good! :-)

It seems
all of them have been eating, but obviously something is amiss. Any
suggestions?

The answer may be above. I hope...... :-)

Thanks
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 23-03-2007, 11:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

at least GF fry tend not to eat things that dont appear to be moving. they
like live food. I would see if anybody got some brine shrimp or even get
some wet pack krill or "live" food of some kind for them. Ingrid

. net...

Old 26-03-2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Sorry for my slow response. I do appreciate your suggestions.
Unfortunately my posts seem to be hit or miss as to whether they go up. I
had a much lengthier response but will go with this in case it doesn't go up
either.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

. net...

Old 27-03-2007, 12:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi, Bill,

Nice to hear form you.

I note your comment on posts not going up. Could you describe more
what is happening? Sometimes they have to wait a bit for the
moderators to review them. Are your posts being delayed? returned?
lost in cyber space? I hate to lose your stuff or have you frustrated
by intermittent loss of posts.

Jim

Old 27-03-2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Jim
Thanks for the inquiry. The posts (about 1/2) have just dissappeared. I
can't even find how I did it now, but I did notice message were set for html
and not text although I was not attaching anything. Perhaps that was a
problem?
Bill

ps.com...

Old 27-03-2007, 07:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"humBill" wrote in message
Hi Jim
Thanks for the inquiry. The posts (about 1/2) have just dissappeared. I
can't even find how I did it now, but I did notice message were set for
html and not text although I was not attaching anything. Perhaps that was
a problem?

==================
Some of mine were also disappearing. I got a message from one of my NSPs
telling me someone in Russia was "expiring" messages. Yours may have gone
that route.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 29-03-2007, 04:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Obviously, the koi that perished must be fried immediately. Hell, fry them
all now. That's my suggestion. You did ask.
Stackclimber
Ponder since 1998 and still loving it.
The best fish I ever had in my pond was a channel catfish. He grew from a 2
inch fingerling to a 2 foot behemoth. And, no.... I didn't eat him.

. net...

Old 29-03-2007, 07:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 27, 10:30 am, "humBill" wrote:
Hi Jim
Thanks for the inquiry. The posts (about 1/2) have just dissappeared. I
can't even find how I did it now, but I did notice message were set for html
and not text although I was not attaching anything. Perhaps that was a
problem?
Bill

Bill,

I will run your problem by the moderation team to see if they have any
ideas.

Jim

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

koi fry gunnar Ponds 2 02-07-2005 07:27 AM
The koi & GF fry Reel McKoi Ponds 0 29-05-2005 06:14 AM
Koi fry update Reel McKoi Ponds 0 14-05-2005 02:21 AM
The Koi Fry :-))) Reel McKoi Ponds 0 30-04-2005 09:37 PM
Zillions of koi fry Reel McKoi Ponds 5 24-04-2005 01:51 AM