Old 23-03-2007, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] Usenet2007@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG is offline

Default Tomatoes and Peppers

In article
.com,
says...
Hi I am growing some tomato and pepper plants in pots on my patio.
How often do tomato and pepper plants need to be watered? How long can
they survive without any water?

When I was doing them in containers, I gave the tomatoes at least
one litre per day, per plant. And the peppers/capsicums got one
litre each, on alternating days (same deal with my lettuce and
spinach.)

Now, in the ground, I give them a good soak with the hose every
day. The peppers/capsicums get less, because they are rather
small this season, probably due to the poor weather.

It depends on your climate. I would do daily watering anywhere,
and more than that if I were someplace really hot.

I don't know how long they would survive without water (partly
depends on your rain prospects, of course.) But tomatoes need
daily water to stay healthy, especially by autumn, when they have
lots of fruit.

And a big issue is consistency - try to stay disciplined with a
set, regular schedule. Meaning, don't let them go for a random
number days without water, and then overcompensate by flooding
them.

Also, while they are thirsty, they also need good drainage - they
don't like to sit in a puddle.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/