Old 23-03-2007, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomatoes and Peppers

Hi I am growing some tomato and pepper plants in pots on my patio.
How often do tomato and pepper plants need to be watered? How long can
they survive without any water?

Ersalan

Old 23-03-2007, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lar Lar is offline

Ersalan Rahman wrote:
Hi I am growing some tomato and pepper plants in pots on my patio.
How often do tomato and pepper plants need to be watered? How long can
they survive without any water?

Ersalan

It is hard to guess....there are a number of factors... the size of the
pots, how much surface area of soil that will allow evaporation...how
much reflective heat that will be bouncing off of the patio and the wall
of the structure. Think that there are soil additives that will hold
moisture and slowly releases the moisture back into the soil for over a
longer period of time.

Lar
Old 23-03-2007, 11:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 22, 10:14 pm, Lar wrote:
Ersalan Rahman wrote:
Hi I am growing some tomato and pepper plants in pots on my patio.
How often do tomato and pepper plants need to be watered? How long can
they survive without any water?

Ersalan

It is hard to guess....there are a number of factors... the size of the
pots, how much surface area of soil that will allow evaporation...how
much reflective heat that will be bouncing off of the patio and the wall
of the structure. Think that there are soil additives that will hold
moisture and slowly releases the moisture back into the soil for over a
longer period of time.

Lar

I agree with your assessment. Mine on elevated deck, if it does not
rain and is not cloudy, are watered daily when mature. Otherwise they
dry out a lot faster than if in the ground.

Frank

Old 23-03-2007, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ersalan Rahman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi I am growing some tomato and pepper plants in pots on my patio.
How often do tomato and pepper plants need to be watered? How long can
they survive without any water?

Ersalan

How big are the pots? Height and diameter, please. And, are you home all
day, or away at work?

Old 23-03-2007, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
.com,
says...
Hi I am growing some tomato and pepper plants in pots on my patio.
How often do tomato and pepper plants need to be watered? How long can
they survive without any water?

When I was doing them in containers, I gave the tomatoes at least
one litre per day, per plant. And the peppers/capsicums got one
litre each, on alternating days (same deal with my lettuce and
spinach.)

Now, in the ground, I give them a good soak with the hose every
day. The peppers/capsicums get less, because they are rather
small this season, probably due to the poor weather.

It depends on your climate. I would do daily watering anywhere,
and more than that if I were someplace really hot.

I don't know how long they would survive without water (partly
depends on your rain prospects, of course.) But tomatoes need
daily water to stay healthy, especially by autumn, when they have
lots of fruit.

And a big issue is consistency - try to stay disciplined with a
set, regular schedule. Meaning, don't let them go for a random
number days without water, and then overcompensate by flooding
them.

Also, while they are thirsty, they also need good drainage - they
don't like to sit in a puddle.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Old 24-03-2007, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 23, 7:34 pm, Usenet2...@THE-
DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
In article
.com,
says...

[...]

and don't let them wilt down. it takes alot out of them when you let
them go like that. yeah daily is what i say like everyone else. if
you are going away have a neighbor water them.