Old 24-03-2007, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Babydoll Babydoll is offline

Default My grandmother called it a monkey tree

I need help identifying a tree. 35 or so years ago my uncle was a
cross country truck driver and often brought home gifts for my aunt
and grandparents. He brought home a small tree at one time and no one
remembers where he said he got it, not even what state. A few years
ago we lost my grandmother and soon after the tree was damaged so
badly it couldn't recover. I don't have any pictures but I'll do my
best to describe it. It grew to about 5 ft. tall. The trunk and limbs
were slightly twisty. Young limbs were covered with a soft velvety fur
and it had pods in the summer. The pods were 1 to 2 inches long and
looked a little like a pine cone. It reproduced like crazy with young
plants sprouting up all around it in the summer {unfortunately all cut
down by my stepfather}. I'm not sure how it reproduced although I
always suspected it was new shoots from the roots. If anyone can help
me I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.