Old 24-03-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Unknown Shrub

On 24 Mar, 13:32, "Dave Poole" wrote:
Although the pic is a bit unclear, I'm 99% certain it is Leucothoe
axillaris 'Curly Red' - a failry recent introduction. As with all
Leucothoes, a humus rich, acidic soil is necessary to keep them happy
and the best colour (which appears in winter) is achieved if grown in
full sun, even though it is shade tolerant. It's a nice slowly
spreading, exceptionally hardy evergreen, growing to around 60 cms.
high and somewhat more across over a period of several years. The
ordinary species can grow to about 1.2m tall spreading to 2m. or more
so eventually it could develop into a medium sized shrub. Quite a
pleasant thing and very effective for winter colour.

Many thanks, I thought someone would know it.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries