Old 24-03-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Unknown Shrub

I was asked this morning if I could identify this shrub, it is one of
6 bought unlabeld from Wyevale.
It is about 6 inches high and has curled leaves similar in texture to
Holy but without the spines.

http://www.twango.com/share.aspx?cha...ffy4u2.Unknown

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 24-03-2007, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Although the pic is a bit unclear, I'm 99% certain it is Leucothoe
axillaris 'Curly Red' - a failry recent introduction. As with all
Leucothoes, a humus rich, acidic soil is necessary to keep them happy
and the best colour (which appears in winter) is achieved if grown in
full sun, even though it is shade tolerant. It's a nice slowly
spreading, exceptionally hardy evergreen, growing to around 60 cms.
high and somewhat more across over a period of several years. The
ordinary species can grow to about 1.2m tall spreading to 2m. or more
so eventually it could develop into a medium sized shrub. Quite a
pleasant thing and very effective for winter colour.

Old 24-03-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 24 Mar, 13:32, "Dave Poole" wrote:
Although the pic is a bit unclear, I'm 99% certain it is Leucothoe
axillaris 'Curly Red' - a failry recent introduction. As with all
Leucothoes, a humus rich, acidic soil is necessary to keep them happy
and the best colour (which appears in winter) is achieved if grown in
full sun, even though it is shade tolerant. It's a nice slowly
spreading, exceptionally hardy evergreen, growing to around 60 cms.
high and somewhat more across over a period of several years. The
ordinary species can grow to about 1.2m tall spreading to 2m. or more
so eventually it could develop into a medium sized shrub. Quite a
pleasant thing and very effective for winter colour.

Many thanks, I thought someone would know it.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Unknown shrub vomog Gardening 2 04-09-2015 03:55 PM
Unknown shrub / tree from Malta Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 11-07-2011 09:15 AM
unknown plant - shrub Dr. Stefan Burkart Plant Science 2 17-05-2005 08:18 PM
[IBC] unknown shrub, can it be used for bonsai? Sam Williams Bonsai 6 13-02-2003 02:55 AM
Pete's unknown Cymbidium [email protected] United Kingdom 11 30-01-2003 07:07 AM