Old 27-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Radika Kesavan

Default Climbing Red Rose?

Allegra wrote:
"Cass" wisely wrote

You might be better off with a modern-day imposter, i.e. a more modern
roses with an old-rose look.

Good luck in your quest. I'll be interested to see what others come up
with.

I must agree with Cass; zone 7 is not quite up there to encourage what
warmth does: growing, growing, growing. If what you are looking for is
to have your rose climb up all the way to the roof of your porch, I don't
know what I could recommend in the OG varieties to fit the bill
As Cass has suggested, a modern climber is perhaps what you are
looking for. Kordes came out somewhere in the 60s with Sympathie, ...
Cadenza ....

But these are all modern roses.....

I should like to add my two cents' (may be only one penny's) worth to
what Cass and Allegra have both very eloquently said. The key is that
"red" is a rather difficult colour to come by in true OGRs, to begin
with, and in climbers even more so.

There is Will Scarlet, a rose that probably will not even marginally
qualify as an OGR - it is a Hybrid Musk. I fell in love with this rose
having seen it on the Amity Heritage Roses Website - he
http://www.amityheritageroses.com/

And here is some more on that rose:
http://www.ph-rose-gardens.com/01115.htm

That picture is from the front of the house that the owners of AHR
occupied when they lived in San Jose. I do no think that it is a
remontant rose, but I am a very soft touch when it comes to huge
self-supporting climbing roses that produce a profusion of red roses,
even if it is an once-a-year explosion of blooms.

Bob Bauer has some very beautiful photographs (when does he not) and
words of wisdom on this rose at his site:
http://www.rose-roses.com/rosepages/...lScarlett.html

Other than that, if, as Cass and Allegra both have suggested, if you are
willing to settle for a modern impostor of an OGR red rose climber that
is reported to do extremely well in New York City's climate, my vote is
for Illusion, another Kordesiana rose:

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=3368

To my nose, Illusion has a subtle incense-like fragrance. It is reported
to be blackspot resistant, and untouched by other fungal ailments too.

--
Radika
California