Old 25-03-2007, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lar Lar is offline

Default ants

symplastless wrote:
I just added a little sample on carpenter ants.

Please review.

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...galleries.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist

Might be missing one step from time of damage to ants moving in. The
wood inside the barrier was altered but not from the injury itself but
from the results of the injury. By allowing water to accumulate, then
rot to set into the wood. There was probably a long period of time of
moisture rot of the wood before the ants actually moved in, then they
now clean out the rotted wood creating their galleries. The ants are
beneficial to the trees. If your tree guy ever states the ants are
killing your trees...find a new tree guy.

As far as ants moving into this area if it where used in construction, I
would guess over 80% of all carpenter ant jobs I do on homes has nothing
to do with wood at all, just a hollow area that holds warmth. The ones
I do find in wood the vast majority of time it is hollow cored doors or
behind crown molding, once again not important the wood, but just a
hollow area to nest. So if ants did find such wood in a structure they
may nest in it but usually there will be countless other areas they find
more suited.

Lar