Old 25-03-2007, 02:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ants

I just added a little sample on carpenter ants.

Please review.

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...galleries.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 25-03-2007, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lar Lar is offline

symplastless wrote:
I just added a little sample on carpenter ants.

Please review.

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...galleries.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist

Might be missing one step from time of damage to ants moving in. The
wood inside the barrier was altered but not from the injury itself but
from the results of the injury. By allowing water to accumulate, then
rot to set into the wood. There was probably a long period of time of
moisture rot of the wood before the ants actually moved in, then they
now clean out the rotted wood creating their galleries. The ants are
beneficial to the trees. If your tree guy ever states the ants are
killing your trees...find a new tree guy.

As far as ants moving into this area if it where used in construction, I
would guess over 80% of all carpenter ant jobs I do on homes has nothing
to do with wood at all, just a hollow area that holds warmth. The ones
I do find in wood the vast majority of time it is hollow cored doors or
behind crown molding, once again not important the wood, but just a
hollow area to nest. So if ants did find such wood in a structure they
may nest in it but usually there will be countless other areas they find
more suited.

Lar
Old 25-03-2007, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Yes - Ants control the moisture content. Too moist or too dry stalls the
decay pathogen. In this sense the ants help the tree.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 28-03-2007, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

So very true -- I've yet to hear a report of carpenter ants in any
wood/substance that is not soft/spongy/or otherwise degraded. I can't
stress enough how they are only a secondary problem, indicating the
original condition -- the degraded wood. And I might also mention, the
c. ants do not eat wood, they only make they galleries/tunnels in it,
same as the more familiar ground-nesting fellas.

SoozieCue

Lar wrote:
symplastless wrote:
[...]

[IMG] code is On

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM