Old 26-03-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_5_] Bill[_5_] is offline

Default Camillia buds

In article .net,
says...

windy wrote:
My Camilla buds have turned brown and do not bloom. This Camilla was
beautiful when we bought it. I planted in a sun/shade area and the buds
turned brown. Last fall we moved it to a sunny location and the same is
happening. it gets plenty of water and feed. Any ideas?
........Windy

The native habitat of Camellia japonica is in the southern foothills of
the Himalayas, where prevailing winds push moist air up the mountains to
form constant clouds with a never-ending drizzle. The soil there is
decomposed granite with great drainage. The few nutrients in the soil
have mostly leached away. Thus, you need to plant C. japonica in the
shade. They need fast-draining soil that is always moist but never
really wet. They should be fed very lightly in the spring, with a mild,
slow-acting fertilizer. If yours is this classic camellia, YOU ARE
KILLING IT with kindness (too much sun, too much water, too much
fertilizer)!

Camellia sasanqua can take some sun but should have at least part shade.
It too needs only light feeding and well-draining soil that is moist
but not wet.

We just moved it from the dappled shade last autumn where the buds
browned and fell off. Now I put it into a more sunny place and the same
thing is happening. It is a Camellia japonica... and we live in the
foothills of the Sierra Nevada mts. in central California;

my growing numbers are from 7-9. Even if they are planted in the wrong
place, could someone please tell me what causes the buds to turn brown
and fall off?

One place to look:

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC2053.htm

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.