Old 24-03-2007, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Camillas buds

My Camilla buds have turned brown and do not bloom. This Camilla was
beautiful when we bought it. I planted in a sun/shade area and the buds
turned brown. Last fall we moved it to a sunny location and the same is
happening. it gets plenty of water and feed. Any ideas?
.........Windy
Old 25-03-2007, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Camillia buds

windy wrote:
My Camilla buds have turned brown and do not bloom. This Camilla was
beautiful when we bought it. I planted in a sun/shade area and the buds
turned brown. Last fall we moved it to a sunny location and the same is
happening. it gets plenty of water and feed. Any ideas?
........Windy

The native habitat of Camellia japonica is in the southern foothills of
the Himalayas, where prevailing winds push moist air up the mountains to
form constant clouds with a never-ending drizzle. The soil there is
decomposed granite with great drainage. The few nutrients in the soil
have mostly leached away. Thus, you need to plant C. japonica in the
shade. They need fast-draining soil that is always moist but never
really wet. They should be fed very lightly in the spring, with a mild,
slow-acting fertilizer. If yours is this classic camellia, YOU ARE
KILLING IT with kindness (too much sun, too much water, too much
fertilizer)!

Camellia sasanqua can take some sun but should have at least part shade.
It too needs only light feeding and well-draining soil that is moist
but not wet.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 25-03-2007, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

windy wrote:
[...]

We just moved it from the dappled shade last autumn where the buds
browned and fell off. Now I put it into a more sunny place and the same
thing is happening. It is a Camellia japonica... and we live in the
foothills of the Sierra Nevada mts. in central California;

my growing numbers are from 7-9. Even if they are planted in the wrong
place, could someone please tell me what causes the buds to turn brown
and fall off?
Old 26-03-2007, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

windy wrote:
windy wrote:
[...]

Camellia buds will die without opening from too little or too much water
(both of which damage roots), irregular watering (soil alternating
between too wet and too dry), humidity too low, too much sun, feeding
too late in the season (should be fed only in the spring, after
blooming), or soil or water containing too many salts. The buds will
also die in freezing weather, which happened to three of my four
camellias in January, just as they were getting ready to bloom.

Regarding feeding, this is one case where a specialized fertilizer --
camellia, azalea, and rhododendron food -- is appropriate. While I
generally use an off-brand lawn food in my flower and shrub beds, it's
too strong for my camellias and azaleas. (I don't have "rhodies".) The
specialized camellia, azalea, and rhododendron food is not only mild;
but it's also acidic, which camelias really need. I would be feeding
mine now. However, the one that did not lose its flower buds in the
Great Freeze of '07 is blooming right now; so I'll have to wait a few
weeks.

Old 26-03-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article .net,
says...

windy wrote:
[...]

One place to look:

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC2053.htm

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Old 26-03-2007, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill wrote:
In article .net,
says...

windy wrote:

[...]

Thank you

[IMG] code is On

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 04:48 PM
Buds - Buds.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 4 31-07-2007 02:33 AM
Buds not opening jenny2write Roses 3 02-06-2003 03:32 PM
P. Dtps. Buds Shriveling Pristella Orchids 1 12-02-2003 07:25 PM