Old 25-03-2007, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default First butterfly today

"Dave Hill" wrote ...
That item on the yellow Magnolia reminds me that there was a lovely
sulphur yellow (Brimstone?) around today, taking it's life in it's
hands (or should that be wings) by flying between our 4 bird feeders
whilst the birds were feeding, and none paid it any attention.

The next thing will be the first swallow, I wonder if that will be
early this year, normally we see ours around the 12 - 14th April

The male Brimstone is usually the first butterfly to be seen each year and
it's colour is said to be why they are called butter-flys.
Our first this year was a couple of weeks ago when we saw a perfect Red
Admiral flying around the small garden that's behind the long water at RHS
Wisley. Lots of walls to catch the suns warmth there.

--
Regards
Bob H