Old 26-03-2007, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default used green tea leaves on the garden

On Mar 26, 1:05�pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,"JWBH" writes:

| We drink quite a lot of japanese green tea. *one of our family read
| somewhere that it's good to put the discarded leaves on to the garden.
| Although having some bulk after being brewed, once they dry out they seem to
| almost disappear. *Is there any real benefit in putting them on the garden?
| thanks

They add humus. *I check all my tea leaves on the compost, but many
humus-loving plants (like camellias and even chives!) will benefit
from a mulch of tea-leaves.

It's always better, other things being equal, to put plant rubbish in
the compost than simply to bin it. Even if it's the tiny amount
represented by tea leaves -- "Mony a mickle maks a muckle". If you
don't run a compost heap, tea leaves direct on the ground won't look a
mess, and you'll know you're helping a little bit. They do contain
fibre and some nitrogen; and I always get a little kick from the
thought that food waste is bringing in material from all round the
world -- and it would be a pity to waste it after all those transport
miles and God knows what human and environmental exploitation at the
other end!

--
Mike.