Old 26-03-2007, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default used green tea leaves on the garden

We drink quite a lot of japanese green tea. one of our family read
somewhere that it's good to put the discarded leaves on to the garden.
Although having some bulk after being brewed, once they dry out they seem to
almost disappear. Is there any real benefit in putting them on the garden?
thanks

Old 26-03-2007, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"JWBH" writes:

| We drink quite a lot of japanese green tea. one of our family read
| somewhere that it's good to put the discarded leaves on to the garden.
| Although having some bulk after being brewed, once they dry out they seem to
| almost disappear. Is there any real benefit in putting them on the garden?
| thanks

They add humus. I check all my tea leaves on the compost, but many
humus-loving plants (like camellias and even chives!) will benefit
from a mulch of tea-leaves.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-03-2007, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Mar 26, 1:05�pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,"JWBH" writes:

| We drink quite a lot of japanese green tea. *one of our family read
| somewhere that it's good to put the discarded leaves on to the garden.
| Although having some bulk after being brewed, once they dry out they seem to
| almost disappear. *Is there any real benefit in putting them on the garden?
| thanks

They add humus. *I check all my tea leaves on the compost, but many
humus-loving plants (like camellias and even chives!) will benefit
from a mulch of tea-leaves.

It's always better, other things being equal, to put plant rubbish in
the compost than simply to bin it. Even if it's the tiny amount
represented by tea leaves -- "Mony a mickle maks a muckle". If you
don't run a compost heap, tea leaves direct on the ground won't look a
mess, and you'll know you're helping a little bit. They do contain
fibre and some nitrogen; and I always get a little kick from the
thought that food waste is bringing in material from all round the
world -- and it would be a pity to waste it after all those transport
miles and God knows what human and environmental exploitation at the
other end!

--
Mike.

Old 27-03-2007, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JWBH" wrote in message
We drink quite a lot of japanese green tea. one of our family read
somewhere that it's good to put the discarded leaves on to the garden.
Although having some bulk after being brewed, once they dry out they seem
to almost disappear. Is there any real benefit in putting them on the
garden? thanks

Empty the pot of tea out under either camellias or hydrangeas - it's good
for both.