Old 27-03-2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
Babydoll Babydoll is offline

Default My grandmother called it a monkey tree

On Mar 25, 2:31 am, "Val" wrote:
"Babydoll" wrote in message

oups.com...

It grew to about 5 ft. tall. The trunk and limbs
were slightly twisty. Young limbs were covered with a soft velvety fur
and it had pods in the summer. The pods were 1 to 2 inches long and
looked a little like a pine cone. It reproduced like crazy with young
plants sprouting up all around it in the summer {unfortunately all cut
down by my stepfather}. I'm not sure how it reproduced although I
always suspected it was new shoots from the roots.

I'm wondering if it was some kind of sumac. The velvety branches and the
fact that is reproduced so prolifically by runners sounds as if this may be
it.

Go to Google Images and search "sumac"...or try this sitehttp://tinyurl.com/24rskj and you just may find a picture of what you're
looking for. There's quite a few different varieties but description sort of
sounds like Stag Horn Sumac or Fragrant Sumac.

Val

by george I think you've got it. Can't be sure until I get a chance to
see and feel one up close and personal, but it sure looks right in the
pictures. Thank you all sooooooo much!