Old 27-03-2003, 05:44 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Constructing epithets (was Use of the word "behen" in names)

There does appear to be a pattern as to what kind of geographical names
have what kind of epithet. I don't believe there is a place in Italy that
takes a "-ensis" ending. The further away from Italy a place is the more
likely it appears to get an epithet ending on "-ensis".

Martin Rand schreef
Well, I couldn't resist a challenge like that, but it was hard work!

Asplenium x ticinense!
And a whole lot of things baldensis / baldense!

:-)

+ + +
Allright, allright! I am claiming there is a pattern. It need not be
airtight!

As you know the Romans counted things in distance from Rome. For a long
while not even the whole of what is now Italy was part of the Roman empire.
Northern Italy remained "Gallia cisalpina" and even these days there is a
political movement which tries to separate Northern Italy from the decadent
rest. So within Italy the further away from Rome a locality is the more
likely it is to have an "-ensis" ending. In Stearn there is mention of
"senensis" from Sienna, also in Northern Italy.
On the other end of Italy, also far from Rome there is Sicily with the
epithets "siculus" and "siciliensis", and I guess Sicily is not Italy proper
(as the Italians, and certainly the Romans, count it).
Having said that I am a little uneasy about "baldensis": IPNI mentions a
geographical locality in only a few entries and these include not only
Italy, but also Austria and Roemenia? So maybe there is not only a Monte
Baldo but a second location? Also, Monte Baldo does not really sound as if
it has its roots in Latin?
PvR