Old 27-03-2003, 03:22 AM
Iris Cohen

Default Constructing epithets (was Use of the word "behen" in names)

when the specific epithet derives from a place name, the place name is
Latinised by adding -ense for a feminine name, or -ensis for a masculine or
neuter generic name. Well, sometimes - I've seen e.g. peruana and I think
peruviana too.

The two endings have entirely different uses. -ense means from. Planta chinense
or sinense means plant from China. -ana or -anum or -anus means in honor of. It
can be added to the name of a country or a person. There are many different
plants named rothschildiana, honoring the Rothschilds, who financed numerous
botanical expeditions.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 27-03-2003, 06:20 AM
Martin Rand

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
when the specific epithet derives from a place name, the place name is

Latinised by adding -ense for a feminine name, or -ensis for a masculine

or
neuter generic name. Well, sometimes - I've seen e.g. peruana and I think
peruviana too.

The two endings have entirely different uses. -ense means from. Planta

chinense
or sinense means plant from China. -ana or -anum or -anus means in honor

of. It
can be added to the name of a country or a person. There are many

different
plants named rothschildiana, honoring the Rothschilds, who financed

numerous
botanical expeditions.

There do seem to be quite a few exceptions to this. And the Latin root of
'-anus' only implies 'of' or 'pertaining to', not particularly distinct from
'originating from' (cf. 'montanus', 'montana').
..
E.g I'm sure Aira caryophyllea ssp .armoricana is named because it's found
in Brittany, not particularly to honour the place.
Argemone mexicana?
Genista monspessulana / Acer monspessulanum?
Limonium transwallianum?

Anyway, St. Louis code:
"60D.1. An epithet derived from a geographical name is preferably an
adjective and usually takes the termination -ensis, -(a)nus, -inus,
or -icus." (Which fails to mention '-acus' BTW.) It doesn't seem to make any
usage distinctions between these.

At this point various silly thoughts came to mind:
Acer pseudoplatanus - in honour of a fake philosopher

Matthiola incana - in honour of a lost civilization
Galeopsis ladanum - in honour of a triumph of Soviet engineering

Old 27-03-2003, 08:44 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

"Iris Cohen" wrote
The two endings have entirely different uses. -ense means from. Planta

chinense or sinense means plant from China. -ana or -anum or -anus means in
honor of. It can be added to the name of a country or a person. There are
many different plants named rothschildiana, honoring the Rothschilds, who
financed numerous botanical expeditions.

Martin Rand schreef
There do seem to be quite a few exceptions to this. And the Latin root of

'-anus' only implies 'of' or 'pertaining to', not particularly distinct from
'originating from' (cf. 'montanus', 'montana').

E.g I'm sure Aira caryophyllea ssp armoricana is named because it's found

in Brittany, not particularly to honour the place.
Argemone mexicana?
Genista monspessulana / Acer monspessulanum?
Limonium transwallianum?

Anyway, St. Louis code:

"60D.1. An epithet derived from a geographical name is preferably an
adjective and usually takes the termination -ensis, -(a)nus, -inus,
or -icus."

(Which fails to mention '-acus' BTW.)

It doesn't seem to make any usage distinctions between these.

+ + +
Indeed there is no distinction in usage, otherwise there would be two or
more forms of epithets ("sinense" and 'sinanum'?!?) for popular geographical
names. As a rule there is one epithet for one geographical name.

There does appear to be a pattern as to what kind of geographical names have
what kind of epithet. I don't believe there is a place in Italy that takes a
"-ensis" ending. The further away from Italy a place is the more likely it
appears to get an epithet ending on "-ensis".
PvR

Old 27-03-2003, 10:44 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

P van Rijckevorsel schreef
Indeed there is no distinction in usage, otherwise there would be two or

more forms of epithets ("sinense" and 'sinanum'?!?) for popular geographical
names. As a rule there is one epithet for one geographical name.

+ + +
I should be more careful! China is indeed an exception:
"chinensis", "sinensis" and "sinicus"

PvR

Old 27-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Martin Rand

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
Martin Rand schreef
[...]

Well, I couldn't resist a challenge like that, but it was hard work!

Asplenium x ticinense!
And a whole lot of things baldensis / baldense!

:-)

Old 27-03-2003, 05:44 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

There does appear to be a pattern as to what kind of geographical names
have what kind of epithet. I don't believe there is a place in Italy that
takes a "-ensis" ending. The further away from Italy a place is the more
likely it appears to get an epithet ending on "-ensis".

Martin Rand schreef
Well, I couldn't resist a challenge like that, but it was hard work!

Asplenium x ticinense!
And a whole lot of things baldensis / baldense!

:-)

+ + +
Allright, allright! I am claiming there is a pattern. It need not be
airtight!

As you know the Romans counted things in distance from Rome. For a long
while not even the whole of what is now Italy was part of the Roman empire.
Northern Italy remained "Gallia cisalpina" and even these days there is a
political movement which tries to separate Northern Italy from the decadent
rest. So within Italy the further away from Rome a locality is the more
likely it is to have an "-ensis" ending. In Stearn there is mention of
"senensis" from Sienna, also in Northern Italy.
On the other end of Italy, also far from Rome there is Sicily with the
epithets "siculus" and "siciliensis", and I guess Sicily is not Italy proper
(as the Italians, and certainly the Romans, count it).
Having said that I am a little uneasy about "baldensis": IPNI mentions a
geographical locality in only a few entries and these include not only
Italy, but also Austria and Roemenia? So maybe there is not only a Monte
Baldo but a second location? Also, Monte Baldo does not really sound as if
it has its roots in Latin?
PvR

Old 27-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Iris Cohen

There do seem to be quite a few exceptions to this. And the Latin root of
'-anus' only implies 'of' or 'pertaining to', not particularly distinct from
'originating from' (cf. 'montanus', 'montana').

True, and a lot of it is custom, rather than grammar.

Acer pseudoplatanus - in honour of a fake philosopher
Matthiola incana - in honour of a lost civilization
Galeopsis ladanum - in honour of a triumph of Soviet engineering

Absolutely. There are some real ones that are a lot worse. Lindley named an
orchid genus Aa, just to get it in the front of Index kewensis.