Old 26-03-2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default Do fish grow over winter ?

©anadian Ponder wrote:

Now that the pond has finally thawed and the fish are starting to get
their mobility back , I have noticed that they are considerably bigger
than before the snow started to fall.

How can this be when I didn't feed them and they basically went into
hibernation mode ?

I would suggest that it is more likely that in fall, when there was
more "green" (either suspended algae or growing plants) in the pond, the
bigger fish were able to hide better. Now that the ponds clearer, they
can't hide. I've had large koi completely disappear for months after herons
appear.
--
derek