Old 26-03-2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Do fish grow over winter ?

Now that the pond has finally thawed and the fish are starting to get
their mobility back , I have noticed that they are considerably bigger
than before the snow started to fall.

How can this be when I didn't feed them and they basically went into
hibernation mode ?

Old 26-03-2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

©anadian Ponder wrote:

Now that the pond has finally thawed and the fish are starting to get
their mobility back , I have noticed that they are considerably bigger
than before the snow started to fall.

How can this be when I didn't feed them and they basically went into
hibernation mode ?

I would suggest that it is more likely that in fall, when there was
more "green" (either suspended algae or growing plants) in the pond, the
bigger fish were able to hide better. Now that the ponds clearer, they
can't hide. I've had large koi completely disappear for months after herons
appear.
--
derek

Old 27-03-2007, 02:26 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I know mine did - I had 2 koi the one winter, one yellow and the other
speckled - they both grew from 4" to 6" over the freeze
Gale - Another Canuck :~)
.com...

Old 27-03-2007, 02:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:42:06 CST, ©anadian Ponder "
wrote:

Now that the pond has finally thawed and the fish are starting to get
their mobility back , I have noticed that they are considerably bigger
than before the snow started to fall.

How can this be when I didn't feed them and they basically went into
hibernation mode ?

I've heard this before.

One of our more koi kichi members actually weighted his koi in the fall and
again in the spring and found that they didn't loose any weight over the
long winter. (Man, would that be depressing to me if after not eating all
winter I was still pre-diet weight. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Old 27-03-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"©anadian Ponder" " wrote in message
.com...
Now that the pond has finally thawed and the fish are starting to get
their mobility back , I have noticed that they are considerably bigger
than before the snow started to fall.

How can this be when I didn't feed them and they basically went into
hibernation mode ?

============================
Perhaps the extra fat and other nutrients they stored for winter allowed for
the growth. Mine also seem larger in the spring but I thought it was my
imagination.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 27-03-2007, 11:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

One of our more koi kichi members actually weighted his koi in the fall and
again in the spring and found that they didn't loose any weight over the
long winter.

Assuming they used some energy in the winter, that suggests they were
eating algae or something. Do you know if that ponder also measured
the koi when he weighed them?

Jim

Old 27-03-2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Now that the pond has finally thawed and the fish are starting to get
their mobility back , I have noticed that they are considerably bigger
than before the snow started to fall.

How can this be when I didn't feed them and they basically went into
hibernation mode ?

I've heard this before.

One of our more koi kichi members actually weighted his koi in the fall
and again in the spring and found that they didn't loose any weight over
the long winter. (Man, would that be depressing to me if after not eating
all winter I was still pre-diet weight. ;-) ~ jan

Different situation, though. You'd still be metabolizing over the winter,
whereas the fishes are slowed way down. I don't know that they _don't_ eat,
over the winter, I expect they do graze a little, but they don't move or
respire much, either.
--
derek

Old 27-03-2007, 10:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 26, 1:42 pm, ©anadian Ponder " wrote:
Now that thepondhas finally thawed and the fish are starting to get
their mobility back , I have noticed that they are considerably bigger
than before the snow started to fall.

How can this be when I didn't feed them and they basically went into
hibernation mode ?

It depends on the fish age. like a teenager going in a growth spurt.
teenagers actually grow in their sleep faster then when awake. while
fish are not active during the winter it gives their cells time to do
other things like grow.

Pete
http://www.relaxingdecor.com

Old 28-03-2007, 07:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 04:58:29 CST, "Phyllis and Jim"
wrote:

Assuming they used some energy in the winter, that suggests they were
eating algae or something. Do you know if that ponder also measured
the koi when he weighed them?
Jim

Knowing him, he probably did, but didn't mention any changes. I'll have to
ask next time the topic comes up. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Old 28-03-2007, 07:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 08:13:35 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Different situation, though. You'd still be metabolizing over the winter.

No.... I really don't believe I metabolize at all, in fact, I think it is a
proven fact women over 40 don't metabolize and that's why we have a harder
time loosing weight than men. ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

Old 28-03-2007, 03:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On
teenagers actually grow in their sleep faster then when awake.

So that is why they are so gawky. Thgeir brains don't know where the
ends of their limbs are.

Jim

Rate This Thread: