Old 27-03-2007, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Carrots in tubs question.

On 27 Mar, 07:42, "Donna \(UK\)" wrote:
I just used the peat free grow bags from B&Q and Homebase and they turned
out lovely. I grew onions near mine last year and that seemed to help keep
the pests down to a minimum.

So true - this year I'm trying chives around carrots. Because the
onions are supposed to be stronger when young, mine have been in since
feb and by the time I do carrots (end April) my onions are not so
young and therefore not strong smelling to repel the psila. The chives
will be prettier too, with their blue flowers. I've got a clump at the
base of our rose, and it's astonishing the reduction of flies and
especially black spots it has made.