Old 27-03-2007, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Carrots in tubs question.

Hi All

This year I am planning to sow carrots in tall drums, mainly to try and keep
them pest free.
Can anybody recommend a soil/compost mix to grow them in?
Thanks in advance

Anthony

Old 27-03-2007, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I just used the peat free grow bags from B&Q and Homebase and they turned
out lovely. I grew onions near mine last year and that seemed to help keep
the pests down to a minimum.

Donna

Old 27-03-2007, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anthony" wrote in message
Hi All

This year I am planning to sow carrots in tall drums, mainly to try and
keep them pest free.
Can anybody recommend a soil/compost mix to grow them in?
Thanks in advance

Anthony

As I have written before the only success I have had to keep root fly
away from carrots was growing them in a builders bulk bag. That I 2/3rds
filled with a mix of soil and well rotted leaf mould.
Old 27-03-2007, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Mar, 07:42, "Donna \(UK\)" wrote:
I just used the peat free grow bags from B&Q and Homebase and they turned
out lovely. I grew onions near mine last year and that seemed to help keep
the pests down to a minimum.

So true - this year I'm trying chives around carrots. Because the
onions are supposed to be stronger when young, mine have been in since
feb and by the time I do carrots (end April) my onions are not so
young and therefore not strong smelling to repel the psila. The chives
will be prettier too, with their blue flowers. I've got a clump at the
base of our rose, and it's astonishing the reduction of flies and
especially black spots it has made.

Old 27-03-2007, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Mar 2007 08:06:00 -0700, La Puce wrote:

On 27 Mar, 07:42, "Donna \(UK\)" wrote:
I just used the peat free grow bags from B&Q and Homebase and they turned
out lovely. I grew onions near mine last year and that seemed to help keep
the pests down to a minimum.

So true - this year I'm trying chives around carrots. Because the
onions are supposed to be stronger when young, mine have been in since
feb and by the time I do carrots (end April) my onions are not so
young and therefore not strong smelling to repel the psila. The chives
will be prettier too, with their blue flowers. I've got a clump at the
base of our rose, and it's astonishing the reduction of flies and
especially black spots it has made.

Spring onions work. Leaving any thinnings lying helps too.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Old 29-03-2007, 02:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Mar, 07:42, "Donna \(UK\)" wrote:
[...]

Thank you all for your ideas and advice.

I have also received this information from the father of a workmate.

"For Exhibition long carrots grow in:-
one garden barrow of soil
quarter barrow of fine sand
half barrow of multi purpose compost
mix well"
This info came from a seed packet.

Thanks again
Anthony

Old 29-03-2007, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:

On 27 Mar, 07:42, "Donna \(UK\)" wrote:
I just used the peat free grow bags from B&Q and Homebase and they turned
out lovely. I grew onions near mine last year and that seemed to help keep
the pests down to a minimum.

So true - this year I'm trying chives around carrots. Because the
onions are supposed to be stronger when young, mine have been in since
feb and by the time I do carrots (end April) my onions are not so
young and therefore not strong smelling to repel the psila. The chives
will be prettier too, with their blue flowers.

Blue flowers? I've only ever seen pink ones on chives. Is it a special
variety or are they like hydrangeas and the colour varies with the ph of
the soil ?

--
Carol
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"

Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (1/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 26-07-2011 06:43 PM
Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (0/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 20-07-2011 12:16 AM
Huge Indoor Pond Tubs? Kodiak Ponds 11 30-09-2003 05:42 PM
leylandii in tubs -feasible? Zipadee Doodar United Kingdom 12 22-09-2003 05:22 PM
Uses for plastic poultry manure tubs?? Liz & Andy United Kingdom 4 14-05-2003 06:20 PM