Old 27-03-2007, 05:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Lilies pushing leaves.

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our hyacinth that were left exposed have suffered complete
anihilation. Those we kept under translucent plastic have seen very
little attrition.

=================
Can you elaborate on keeping them under translucent plastic? Did you encase
the entire tub or pond in plastic like a greenhouse? Did that keep the
atmosphere above the water above freezing? The answer may be very helpful
to others who would like to try keeping them over.

I kept over some water lettuce, but they were in a heated greenhouse. I also
keep some over in an aquarium in my sunroom.

I live in a very temperate climate (So. Cal, Ventura, CA) and though we
never have freezing temps, my hyacinth all pretty much die out this time
of year. A few bits remain. I usually add a few once the season gets
going.