Old 27-03-2003, 06:32 PM

Default protection

In article , Raleighgirl wrote:
Hiya.
The hubbie is taking over the garden this year. Yippeee. Except
that he wants to use chemicals for bugs. : Anyway, I'm trying
to get him to put up a fence rather than poison to control the
rabbits. Will a 2' tall chickenwire fence keep bunnies out?
Also, when you put netting over blueberry bushes, does it need a
framework to hold it away from the plant or do you just drape the
material over the plant? So far it looks like a bumper crop for
my 3 blueberry bushes. I must buy more this year.
Thanks,

Yes 2 foot chickenwire works great for rabbits. Don't recommend poison
as you would have stinking dead rabbits and a bunch still eating the
garden. I put up the 4 corner stakes and stretch the wire as tight as I
can by hand then zig zag extra stakes to tighten it up have to make sure
it has good contact with the ground.

I tried bird netting with blue berries once and the bird leg I found in
the loose netting stopped me from ever doing it again. I suggest a
frame or at least staking it taunt so the loose parts won't act as a
snare trap.

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)