Old 28-03-2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
peter stickney peter stickney is offline

Default African Violet Pot Watering

I have a few AV leaves rooted, and am now wanting to plant them.

I had a pot, 4 inches. It's one of these pots in a pot. Glazed on
the outside, the ceramic ungalzed pot sits in this pot.

And Ive tried this in the past, and have over watered it. I kept it
in the bathroom, I wonder if the humidity of showers had an ill
effect.

At any rate, I have this pot, I have a newly rooted cutting. I used
potting soil, it sits in the office at work in an east facing window,
it's all I have. With this kind of pot, how much water should I put
in, and how often. Ive searched this newsgroup and the net, with
mixed results. The last time I used this pot, I assumed I could keep
water in it 24x7, and the plant would get it as needed. I was young
and foolish, as I think I totally over soaked it.

Also, if I am allowed a secondary question. I have 3 other leaves now
rooting, and I can see the little green stems coming up from just
above the new roots in the water. When I eventually pot these leaves,
should I put the roots and new the new growth deep in the soil? Or
should I leave the leaves in the water until the new sprouts get a
little longer, so when I do pot them, they are above the soil line.
And furthermore, how long can the leaves stay in water, growing roots?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-peter