Old 28-03-2007, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default What are your experiences with Sedums and Butterflies?

On 28 Mar, 16:56, "
wrote:
Sedum spectabile is commonly listed as a good butterfly plant. Without
a doubt it can be. One flat I lived in had a garden below it that was
always full of red admirals on the sedums in the Autumn.

However, in butterfly circles people are commonly warned to avoid
Sedum "Autumn Joy" also known by its German equivalent name of Sedum
"herbstfreude". It would appear that it is of hybrid origin and
produces less nectar and is therefore much less attractive.

It seems there are other cultivars/hybrids that are also unattractive.

I'd be interested to know of other people's experiences with named
cultivars.

What have your experiences been?

I'd also be grateful if someone could tell me of an UK supplier of
Sedum spectabile SEEDS. Chiltern Seeds used to offer them a while ago
but, alas no longer.

Neil Jones

My chouic for a good feed plant for buterflies, as well as hoverflies
and bees would be single dahlias, they will be in flower from August
to the frost and will give a steady supply of food.
Another interesting food plant is Helichrisum, the everlasting flower,
the extra is that when feeding you will actualy hear the insects
walking over the flowers.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.