Old 28-03-2007, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What are your experiences with Sedums and Butterflies?

Sedum spectabile is commonly listed as a good butterfly plant. Without
a doubt it can be. One flat I lived in had a garden below it that was
always full of red admirals on the sedums in the Autumn.

However, in butterfly circles people are commonly warned to avoid
Sedum "Autumn Joy" also known by its German equivalent name of Sedum
"herbstfreude". It would appear that it is of hybrid origin and
produces less nectar and is therefore much less attractive.

It seems there are other cultivars/hybrids that are also unattractive.

I'd be interested to know of other people's experiences with named
cultivars.

What have your experiences been?

I'd also be grateful if someone could tell me of an UK supplier of
Sedum spectabile SEEDS. Chiltern Seeds used to offer them a while ago
but, alas no longer.

Neil Jones
http://www.butterflyguy.com

Old 28-03-2007, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

" writes
Sedum spectabile is commonly listed as a good butterfly plant. Without
a doubt it can be. One flat I lived in had a garden below it that was
always full of red admirals on the sedums in the Autumn.

However, in butterfly circles people are commonly warned to avoid
Sedum "Autumn Joy" also known by its German equivalent name of Sedum
"herbstfreude". It would appear that it is of hybrid origin and
produces less nectar and is therefore much less attractive.

It seems there are other cultivars/hybrids that are also unattractive.

I'd be interested to know of other people's experiences with named
cultivars.

What have your experiences been?

There's been discussion on here before about buddleia, IIRC to the
effect that darker purple forms are less attractive. Google groups
search might throw it up.

--
Kay
Old 28-03-2007, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 28 Mar, 16:56, "
wrote:
[...]

My chouic for a good feed plant for buterflies, as well as hoverflies
and bees would be single dahlias, they will be in flower from August
to the frost and will give a steady supply of food.
Another interesting food plant is Helichrisum, the everlasting flower,
the extra is that when feeding you will actualy hear the insects
walking over the flowers.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Old 28-03-2007, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Mar, 17:55, K wrote:
" writes

[...]

I think I recall that. I would expect the wild colour to be the
best.Since that is what attracts the pollinators which leads to more
seeds and more copies of those genes in circulation etc.

Neil Jones

Old 28-03-2007, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Mar, 18:15, "Dave Hill" wrote:
My chouic for a good feed plant for buterflies, as well as hoverflies
and bees would be single dahlias, they will be in flower from August
to the frost and will give a steady supply of food.
Another interesting food plant is Helichrisum, the everlasting flower,
the extra is that when feeding you will actualy hear the insects
walking over the flowers.

Really? I wouldn't have thought that since they are so ... dry! Last
year I over done it with the helichrisums, sowed far too much, gave
some away and planted them next to astrantia and zinia. It looked
beautiful, but because I had valerian and nettles growing there, I
suspected the butterflies came for these and not the helichrisums.
This year I'm also growing angelica next to a self sowed teasel with
nettles behind it. I'm hoping to make the best butterflies restaurant
of the north west ;o)

Old 29-03-2007, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote
On 28 Mar, 17:55, K wrote:
I'd be interested to know of other people's experiences with named
cultivars.

What have your experiences been?

There's been discussion on here before about buddleia, IIRC to the
effect that darker purple forms are less attractive. Google groups
search might throw it up.

I have both forms of sedum within 10 yards of each other and do find
that butterflies will head for the old original and avoid Autumn Joy. I
planted another variety named "Carl" last year, but as there were so few
butterfies around in my garden last summer it's hard to say yet whether
they like that one very much or or not.

Marjoram in flower is a great attractant for many of the smaller meadow
butterflies, as well as bees and many other insects, I find.
--
Sue

Old 29-03-2007, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/3/07 09:34, in article
, "Sue"
wrote:

snip

I have both forms of sedum within 10 yards of each other and do find
that butterflies will head for the old original and avoid Autumn Joy. I
planted another variety named "Carl" last year, but as there were so few
butterfies around in my garden last summer it's hard to say yet whether
they like that one very much or or not.

Marjoram in flower is a great attractant for many of the smaller meadow
butterflies, as well as bees and many other insects, I find.

I don't think I've taken particular notice of which Sedum they like but I do
know that they go really mad over Eupatorium later in the year. So if you
haven't got some you might like to plant it.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-03-2007, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Mar, 09:53, Sacha wrote:
On 29/3/07 09:34, in article
, "Sue"

wrote:

snip

I have both forms of sedum within 10 yards of each other and do find
thatbutterflieswill head for the old original and avoid Autumn Joy. I
planted another variety named "Carl" last year, but as there were so few
butterfies around in my garden last summer it's hard to say yet whether
they like that one very much or or not.

Marjoram in flower is a great attractant for many of the smaller meadow
butterflies, as well as bees and many other insects, I find.

I don't think I've taken particular notice of which Sedum they like but I do
know that they go really mad overEupatoriumlater in the year. So if you
haven't got some you might like to plant it.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Sacha , Eupatoriums are well known particularly amongst American
butterfly enthusiasts and I once grew some of our native E.
cannabinum. Which one are you actually referring to here? Is it
Purpureum?

Neil Jones