Old 28-03-2007, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl Riehm Carl Riehm is offline

Default Sick Holly

I have an American Holly (Ilex opaca), planted in 1985, now over 20' high
- probably close to 25'. It has been sick for several years.

One person who claimed to be an expert on I.opaca said I should use Cygon
2E, in spite of the fact that it warned on the label not to use it on
hollies. I did use it and almost killed the tree.

I just sprayed it this morning with "dormant" fungicide spray ("97%
mineral oil" according to the label). I was also going to spray it with a
dormant insecticide, until I noticed a warning against using it on
hollies.

There are a few pictures of affected leaves he
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-y7zem0

In fact many of the leaves are much worse - there is also a seedling of
about 2 1/2 feet which is much worse - many of the leaves are completely
dead.

Can anyone recognize the problem? Maybe *more* than one problem?

Solutions?

Carl