Old 28-03-2007, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Sick Holly

I have an American Holly (Ilex opaca), planted in 1985, now over 20' high
- probably close to 25'. It has been sick for several years.

One person who claimed to be an expert on I.opaca said I should use Cygon
2E, in spite of the fact that it warned on the label not to use it on
hollies. I did use it and almost killed the tree.

I just sprayed it this morning with "dormant" fungicide spray ("97%
mineral oil" according to the label). I was also going to spray it with a
dormant insecticide, until I noticed a warning against using it on
hollies.

There are a few pictures of affected leaves he
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-y7zem0

In fact many of the leaves are much worse - there is also a seedling of
about 2 1/2 feet which is much worse - many of the leaves are completely
dead.

Can anyone recognize the problem? Maybe *more* than one problem?

Solutions?

Carl

Old 28-03-2007, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 28, 3:05�pm, Carl Riehm wrote:
[...]

http://www.growit.com/bin/Problems.exe?MyType=106
HTH

Old 28-03-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Carl Riehm wrote:

I have an American Holly (Ilex opaca), planted in 1985, now over 20'
high probably close to 25'. It has been sick for several years.

Sometimes you have to take the sick trees out and not plant new ones in
the same place for years. Looks nasty and with it on a nearby plant
contagious. If other folks in the neighborhood have Hollies it might
be advisable to have a county agent look at it for safe disposal.

Bill

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1087/ANR-1087.pdf

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 29-03-2007, 11:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Your problem may me improper pruning and or Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

also see A touch of chemistry.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Sincerely,