Old 28-03-2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default African Violet Pot Watering

"peter stickney" wrote in
oups.com:

On Mar 28, 3:05 pm, "Buderschnookie" wrote:
"peter stickney" wrote in message

At any rate, I have this pot, I have a newly rooted cutting. I
used potting soil, it sits in the office at work in an east facing
window, it's all I have.

One thing to keep in mind- "potting soil" varies tremendously from
brand to brand and mix to mix. If the pot is very heavy in relation
to its size when you pick it up the potting soil may be too heavy and
need more perlite mixed in to allow your roots to breathe. Too heavy
a soil gets waterlogged and stays soggy far too long.

When you look at the potting soil is it black or are there lots of
specks of white or grey mixed in?
Or did you use a specialized "African Violet Potting Soil"?

--
Toni
South Florida USA

I know what you mean about the weight. I accidentally planted another
plant in outdoor garden soil a few months back. The pot was very
heavy! This is a very light soil, black/brown with some white and
brown bits mixed in. I dont remember the brand. It wasnt
specifically for african violets.

-peter

Get some specifically for African Violets. That's why they make it.