Old 29-03-2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default Subscribing to rpm

atomweaver wrote:

Google Groups, which only picked up rpm yesterday (i think?)

Google Groups != Usenet

From what I saw Google only got the posts from the minute it picked up
the group....I also assume, looking at the stats, that these are also
based on members who have joined since it picked up the group - my
understanding is that it shows active members irrespective of whether
they subscribe via Usenet or google - maybe we should all unsubcribe and
then resubscribe via our NSPs to get the stats up - just kidding.....the
number of posters stands out on it's own. Certainly the stats on number
of posts reflect this rather than the stats that go back to the creation
of the group as there a certainly people who have posted more often than
have made the top poster list....

To the OP, different users will access rec.ponds.moderated in different
ways, and Google Groups is only one method for access. That subscription
statistic is not very meaningful, except if it is for a Group set up
exclusively for access through Google, like "The Freshwater Aquarium".

A google group such as TFA indeed takes it's membership stats from those
that join.....but because of the way it is set up anyone can read it so
even then the statistics would be not a true indication of
readership...I am not clear as to how google gathers the stats on
membership for a Usenet group - is it by those that join up via their
NSPs or is it by those that post to the group?......interesting academic
question I suppose.....but in reality whatever the group is the
indication of the success of a group is not statistics but the number of
names on the page discussing pond or fish related subjects....those that
lurk and learn.......

Gill

Regards
DaveZ